Monday 26 January 2015

st. jerome's laneway


St. Jerome's Laneway 2015

Undoubtedly, Laneway was insane and intense and despite the fact that I'm supposed to be on austerity measures, I'm glad I went. It was a pretty hot day and my skin was slick with sweat but I couldn't give two shits about it and just went about soaking in the festival feels with my bae, 'manda. 


*check that ferris wheel at the background that totes makes Laneway look like a fake ass Coachella

It was a magical experience catching several of my favourite acts LIVE! I finally fulfilled my tween self's concert bucket list of catching Angus & Julia Stone and that moment when they blew us away with Big Jet Plane as well as their own rendition of Grease's You're The One That I Want

Most of the acts that I wanted to see was later in the night so we went about exploring the place and I absolutely love how you could be/dress whatever you wanted and you fit right in. I saw girls dressed in popping neon colours from head to toe and I saw this bearded guy wearing a full tribal headpiece rocking out on the pavements. Honestly, by Laneway standards, I think we could possibly be under dressed. It's my first time at Laneway so this whole experience is pretty new to me and I was enjoying every liberating minute of it. I was so in the mood to do whatever the heck I wanted but Amanda stopped me from getting a tattoo at Sailor Jerry's though.

As the sun began to set, we were partying hard (re: awkward girls dancing) to Jungle, an act that we discovered at the festival itself. Gotta love their tracks Busy Earnin' and Time
At nine, BANKS was out and we were all the way at the front. Our chests were pounding from the bass because we were in front of the speakers as well. I think Amanda almost fainted but it was well worth it. I mean I gave up Chet Faker at Cloud Stage so that I could be stationed at the ready for Change/This Is What It Feels Like/Drowning/Beggin' For Thread. Apart from her "smoked-too-many-cigs" breathy tones, she is drop-dead gorgeous. She also has this lazy way of moving around the stage like she was gliding while her hands shook powerfully to the music.



Finally at ten was the act that I waited the whole night for - FKA Twigs. I have loved her from long ago when I chanced upon Papi Pacify and she had me entranced since. I was at the front, durrrr, cause classic case of an absolute refusal to miss out and I was right to do so. She made her stunning entrance out from the smoke ready to captivate us in Preface. And from the beginning of the set, she is impossible to look away because the way she sings/moves/dances is insanely captivating. I think my heart almost skipped a beat when she (vaguely) pointed in my direction when my hands were up swaying to Ache. Yeah, I'm a complete lame-o fangirl for her but that's because she's simply fantastic.  There's just this hauntingly magical feel to her performance. I swear I almost cried when she sang Give Up - Water Me - Papi Pacify. When I embarrassingly echoed this sentiment to Amanda, she said she felt the exact same way. Two Weeks was amazing as expected but she ended up closing her set with How's That while all this time I was waiting for Video Girl. Heck, that gives me all the more reason to see her again. 

I have an incredible love for music and despite some nasty shoving and pushing I'm glad Laneway gave me the opportunity to check off some of the acts that I really want to see. Hopefully next year there will be The xx, The Neighbourhood, The Weeknd, Florence + The Machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment